Saturday, December 24, 2005

Random Christmas ramblings

There's an interesting discussion on the adult stigma of being a child of divorce in the dating world on the Family Scholars blog.

In that discussion, I copied part of a post from my blog from back in October that talked about a terrificly annoying post on boundless.org. The author of the boundless article opined that children of divorce were unable to form relationships, stick with them, think of anyone but themselves. I find that really hard to stomach, especially since many of the children of divorce I know and have read about are very committed to their family.

I happen to be spending Christmas alone this year, entirely by choice. For two years, I had one of my brothers living with me. He moved here after college and I was glad to give him a place to stay while he was getting on his feet. With two of us out here in Virginia, my mom and stepdad decided they would relocate. Mom got a job here, but their house in Ohio has been the victim of a slowing housing market and hasn't yet sold. My stepdad has stayed in Ohio to keep the house ready to show; Mom has been living with me since August. So for the last two and a half years, I've had family members living with me. Not exactly ideal, but I guess one of the benefits of being single (perhaps one of the reasons God still has me single?) is being able to help my family out a little. After all, isn't that what family is really all about? Being there for each other and supporting one another through the good times and bad?

A little peace and alone-time was in order for the holidays, though. And lest anyone picture me eating a microwave dinner for the holidays, let me assure you it's gourmet all the way here, even if it is for one. I cooked up some salmon, jasmine ginger rice, and honeyed carrots for Christmas Eve dinner tonight and opened a bottle of Pinot Grigio. Christmas dinner tomorrow will be filet mignon with Cabernet Sauvignon sauce, lobster mashed potatoes, and (for dessert) individual chocolate cake with a soft center. Mmm...Christmas!

Here's to Jesus. May the King live forever.

No comments: