Thursday, February 09, 2006

Birthday blessings

My birthday is tomorrow, which is pretty weird because I feel a lot younger than the number that pops up when I substract 19?? from 2006. And thanks so much to the friend who sent me a card that said we would "grow old together...you first!" You're only 6 months behind me, sweetie, so I'll be laughing as you're struggling to blow out all those candles in June.

Birthdays are a great time, though, to remember all the blessings God has given us. So here's an off-the-top-of-my-head blessing rundown:
1. I have a job, which can often be frustrating, but ultimately furthers God's kingdom and pays my bills and even is occasionally really satisfying intellectually.
2. I have a great little townhouse, which is a total gift from God.
3. I have a great family who can drive me crazy (and vice versa) but who love me (and vice versa) and who really are terrific.
4. I have fantastic friends who love me, pray for me, encourage me, and make me laugh.

I'm also thankful for (in no particular order) tea, books, candles, friendly dogs, giggly little girls (especially my "nieces" Anna, Caroline, and Abigail), traveling companions (vive les amies!), the publisher who will finally put my book into print (I know you're out there), cooking magazines with yummy recipes, cheese fondue, Jane Austen movies, good music, public libraries, and about a hundred other things.

No comments: