Monday, October 16, 2006

Be an olive tree

I had the wonderful opportunity this weekend to go on an overnight ladies' retreat. Oh, how I needed it! The theme of our time together was "The Satisfied Heart," from Ruth Myers' book by the same name. On Saturday morning, we were sent off to find a quiet spot and spend an hour with the Lord using the second chapter in Myers' book. I used my time to read through the verses at the end of the chapter and meditate on each one, the theme being "He can more than satisfy me."

One of the verses Myers' cited was Psalm 52:8, "But I am like an olive tree, flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever." I wrote these notes as I contemplated God's love:

"like an olive tree" -- producing rich fruit, good to have ripe/mature (black olives) or unripe/still maturing (green olives), used for oil (a preserver, and used in anointing)

"flourishing in the house of God" -- not just growing, surviving, making it...flourishing! Where? In God's house, rooted, potted, in His care, under His constant watchful eye

"I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever" -- His love never fails, and neither does my trust

After looking up the olive tree in Wikipedia, I can add a few more notes:

- an olive tree kept inside would have to be pruned frequently, like a bonsai; where is God pruning me?

- olives are harvested by shaking the tree; where does my life feel shaken?

- a good harvest may only happen every six or seven years--be patient!

No comments: