Sunday, May 28, 2006

By and for children

From an article in the IndyStar:

Zoe was 8 and Evan 6, when their parents split up about 16 years ago. Several years later, the brother-and-sister team was approached by a publisher and editor to write a book about divorce.
They decided, with Mom's help, to tackle the topic. "Divorce is Not the End of the World" was published in 1997 to give kids a coping tool when their parents break up.

"I think it's easy to think you're gonna get left behind and that they're gonna forget about you, that you're gonna lose all of the rituals and the family memories that you have," Zoe said.

"It's basically losing the structure and the understanding of your life as you know it," said Evan. "It's like a lot of emotions at once. It changes your life permanently and that is a hard thing to deal with at a young age or at any age."

"I think that in a way I'm less likely to get divorced because I've seen divorce up close, firsthand, and it's not something that I want to go through or that I want my children to go through," said Zoe.

No comments: