Thursday, June 29, 2006

Parenting through divorce

This excellent article on CBSNews.com gives a wealth of info on children of divorce, including how-tos for parenting, reactions to divorce by age of child, advice for post-divorce dating, and these sobering stats:
One in every two marriages ends in divorce.
Two-thirds of these families include minor children, As a result, about 1 million children each year become "children of divorce."
Divorce is the most common problem children face today. It is more prevalent than drug abuse, teenage pregnancy, or the death of a parent.
Currently, about 37 percent of all American children live with a divorced parent. Before reaching 18, about 25 to 35 percent of American children will spend some time in a stepfamily. Two thirds of these children will have step- or half-siblings.

2 comments:

Susannah said...

Thank you for your wonderful ministry. I am an adult child of divorce (I'm 50-something) and my faith has made all the difference in my life. Have you read the new book Lives of Quiet Turbulence by Elizabeth Marquardt? Christianity Today has a good review in their March 2006 issue. I plan to cover divorce in my (religion) blog in the future, and I'll link to you. God bless!

Kristine said...

Hi e-mom. I have read Elizabeth's book, actually titled "Between Two Worlds: The Inner Lives of Children of Divorce." I wrote a review of it for BreakPoint a few months ago, in fact; you can find a link to my review on the blog sidebar. Thanks for joining us!