Monday, September 17, 2007

More on the American Girl doll

Well, poor Julie certainly has a lot on her plate. An article in the New York Daily News quotes the author of Julie's back story:
"I was trying to think of a way to introduce the idea of a deep division in the country, and realized that I could use divorce as a metaphor to reflect [in Julie's own family] what was happening on a larger scale in the country. By portraying Julie as being from a divorced family, the division in her family reflects the division in the country and Julie becomes central as the character who is trying to heal her family from the pain and struggle of divorce." [emphasis mine]

That's a tall order for a 9 year old, even if she is an American doll fictional character.

2 comments:

Elinor Dashwood said...

This is so depressing. I haven't got hold of the book yet, but did we really need an American Girl of Divorce?

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested to know how they're handling this in the books. I guess since it's part of kids' lives, perhaps the books should address it. I was shocked, though, to realize that they're now making "historical" dolls from the 70's. ;-)h