Monday, December 19, 2005

Small gifts

One of my favorite lines from Sleepless in Seattle is Rosie O'Donnell's line: "You don't want to be in love...you want to be in love in a movie." And it's true. I want to be in love in a movie. Movies are a lot neater than real life. Boy meets girl, impossible situations ensue, but you know in the end boy and girl will get together and live happily ever after. Everything gets tied up in a nice, neat bow. And it all happens in the space of about two hours. I know what happens and it happens quick. Hooray for movies!

We don't get the same luxury in life. Things are messy, sometimes really messy. Neat bows have a way of getting crushed or coming untied. The ending is never entirely certain. Will the boy get the girl? Will the girl even meet the boy? Will the fairy tale fall apart in divorce, death, dullness? I want to know how it all turns out and I want it to happen quick.

But I'm called to trust. Even though I don't know how it's going to turn out, even though I can't see when or how or if situations will get resolved. It may not all get tied up in a bow. Maybe God likes gift bags better. I don't know. All I know is that He knows what's going on.

Right now, I'm just glad someone does.

No comments: