Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Memoirs of a Marriage

Sadly this is not available online for me to point you to for easy click and read enjoyment, but write this down and buy the magazine or make time to read it at the library or Borders. The March 27 issue of the New Yorker has a wonderful piece called "Alice, Off the Page" on page 44. Written by Calvin Trillin about his late wife Alice, the article is being praised elsewhere as "heart-breakingly beautiful" and "astonishingly beautiful," and indeed it is both of those. The prose, the stories, and--more to the point--the life they portray are beauty itself. I hope someday to write that well, to love that well, and to be loved that well. For that last part, I'll need to find a man smart enough to suggest that policemen who ticket me instead of letting me off with a warning in deference to my beauty and general cuteness must of course be gay. Mr. Trillin was obviously more of a catch than either he or his friends allowed.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I've read about this article and am dying to read it. Searched everywhere online and couldn't find it! I think the library will have it...