Tuesday, November 14, 2006

God's passionate love

In The Satisfied Heart, Ruth Myers' meditates on the greatest commandment, to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. She says:

"I am so important to God that He wants me to love Him totally. We don't approach strangers on the street and say, 'Please love me with all your heart!' They would think we were crazy, and they'd probably be right. Only if someone means a great deal to us, only if we really love that person, do we ask that. And it's what God has asked from us. ...the most desirable of all persons - He asks me to love Him with all my heart."

Have you thought of that? We sing about being desperate for God, but it turns out He's desperate for us, too. It's like a billion times better than finding out that Matthew McConnaughey has a secret crush on me. As if. And yet, God does. Wow. How amazing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I agree with what you were trying to say. However, I would be careful labeling God as "desperately" chasing us. God chases us for HIS glory, not desperate need of our love. God is Good and wonderfully glorious with our without our love. And that, is something to praise! I don't ever want God's glory relying on me!

Charles